Canine Program Manager/Director of Service Dog Training
Soldier ON Service Dogs, Inc. is a 501(c)3 located in Fayetteville, Arkansas. We provide fully trained service dogs to veteran with PTSD and/or TBI in Northwest Arkansas for free. We work closely with the Ozarks Regional Veterans Administration (located in Fayetteville) and have had over 300 veterans who have applied for a service dog.
In order to meet the demand AND adhere to strict industry standards we are looking to hire a Canine Program Director/Director of Service Dog Training. This position requires direct experience working in the service dog industry and the ability to manage all aspects of our Canine Program include our trainers, training classes and Puppy Raiser Program.
This position reports directly to the Executive Director. You will manage (3) trainers and a kennel staff of (4). You will be responsible for the training of trainers, our dogs, our Puppy Raisers and our veterans.
This position pays between $48,000 and $60,000 a year and includes a relocation package.
- Thrives in a Small Team Atmosphere
- Self-starter / Self-motivator
- Effective Communicator
- Intangible Relationship Building Skills
- Works For and/ or Actively Volunteering With a Nonprofit
- Solid Customer Service Mindset
- Goal Oriented
- Able to Plan and Work With a Budget
- Cannot be Allergic to Dogs or Cats
- Applicant Must Possess a Positive Attitude Who Wants to Make a Difference and Have a Visual Impact on the Organization.
- A Strong Passion and Appreciation for Our Military Veterans is a Must.
Job Qualifications & Requirements:
- Minimum five (5) years of professional dog training experience with a minimum of two (2) years of experience within the service dog industry as a trainer NOTE: Previous experience as an Instructor/Teacher preferred with comfort in leading one-to-one or group sessions
- Prefer a Bachelor’s degree with preference given to candidates with degree in canine or human/health services related fields
- Perform presentations, demonstrations, and on-site tours to potential donors, public and community based programs with a high degree of professionalism.
- Possess a valid driver’s license, working vehicle and insurance
- Must pass background check.
- Demonstrate ability to teach/instruct apprentice trainers, volunteers, and Veterans on Soldier ON training methodology and problem solving
- Possess knowledge, understanding and experience working with various diagnoses and disabilities in order to effectively train service dogs to meet these needs and comfortably communicate with program participants
- Implementation of effective training methods, problem solving and instruction for all phases of training (puppy through graduate training) in accordance with Assistance Dogs International Standards
- Plan and manage weekly community outings for veterans and with puppy raisers to address a specific puppy’s training and socialization needs
- Experience in public speaking, presentations and interacting with community members, sponsors and public relation partners
- Manage administrative process of collecting and reviewing evaluations for puppies in training and to provide appropriate follow up with the executive director, board members, veterans and Puppy Raisers.
Full time, with occasional weekend/evening hours, and hours above and beyond the standard 40 hour work week. All members of Service Dog Program staff are on call for after hour dog emergencies 24 hours a day.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer.
Email your cover letter, resume and other pertinent documents to [email protected].